Thursday, February 27, 2014

DIY Booster Seat


So Thor, my youngest (until June) is now 2 1/2 years old.  I have been thinking, for way too long, that it is time to get him out of his high chair.  First, it is so hard to get him in and out of it, especially when he is wearing shoes.  Second, I would love to not hear him yelling "Mommy, I want down" when I am indisposed or at other times for that matter. Third, we finally have a table large enough to accommodate the 7 of us.  And finally he's two and a half!!!!  Seriously, it is about TIME!!  Though in my defense he is little and still mostly fits in it :)

We have Sparkle in a booster seat I got at Wal-Mart and I was tempted to just go get another one.  But it is a tacky green plastic thing that used to have a tray, which we never used, and now there are these gaping holes where the tray used to be which food falls through.  There are so many things I don't like about it, I just couldn't bring myself to buy another one.  So I waited hoping to come up with a better option.

One day while Iron Man and I were on a date at the local Barnes and Noble (yes, we are nerds and like to browse books for fun) I saw this lovely little book entitled "One Yard Wonders" which has many different sewing projects you can make with just one yard of fabric.
 
 I sat down and thumbed through it to see if there was anything interesting.  I came across several projects I liked one of which was a booster seat (p.232)  One great thing about these books (there are several) is  they include patterns for the projects that require them, but most are so simple you don't need one.  That evening I put it on hold at the library and in a few days I had my copy. 

It took me forever to decide I was actually going to attempt to make the booster seat.  In fact I had to renew the book once before I even started.  Sometimes I talk myself out of trying new things, particularly when they require materials I have never worked with before.  This one called for waterproof fabric and 3 pounds of buckwheat hulls.  I had no idea where to even find buckwheat hulls. But with a bit of encouragement from Iron Man (he always believes in trying new things) I ventured.

I found a nice black and white laminated cotton fabric at Hobby Lobby.  I had Sparkle pick it out since it would be her new seat.  I got the foam insert there as well. We ordered a 3 pound bag of buckwheat hulls off of E-bay which was a bit less expensive than Amazon.  (*Update:  I found a website which offers free shipping on buckwheat hulls it is http://ecomamaliving.com/)  The only thing I added to my seat that wasn't included in the book one was a strap so you can fasten it to the chair. For that I got a yard of black nylon webbing at JoAnn's and sewed on Velcro and it was easy to add on, by sewing it into the bottom seams.

  The project went very quickly.  I was mostly done within an hour. I just had to wait for the buckwheat hulls to arrive.  They came today and I finished the project this afternoon.  And here it is!  I love how it turned out.  A yard of this fabric is enough to make two chairs.  So Thor will be getting one also and we can finally say goodbye to that nasty green plastic one.